Sunday, April 23, 2006

Ah what a week if you can call something sugar coated  bitter pill this week  i got a full dosage of it.


I mean i walk in on Monday and i am called in by the manager.....ah hmm ....hmm see we think the technical team has less work and so we plan to  remove a resource from it and i understand your concern but i want you to take over the Functional team as a Sr person ....its known as the contact layer in our organisation( the ppl who report to the Team lead.).Since the growth path deems that you look at the next role this is how it will be ...i am so happy to tell that 3 engineers will report to you(My thoughts: great  ab teen log mujhko gaali dena shuru karenge....basically what it means is you have to do your work and worry about getting work done by others too .....more importantly lie to them better about what i lie to you is what was meant ).


 


I cant say no because i am not some brilliant technical person..............just an above avg in technical (though this project does not even need average )........but this is kind of a sudden change.


I am fine with management but what is troubling is this move will help me nowhere if i dont stick with this org for next 2 or 3 years which i dont want....the environment here gets to me.I have my reasons why i am in this soup...past never becomes past.To move out of this org i must be in Technical but how do you refuse a promotion now esp if you not brilliant in Technical.That is called trapping and the did it well.


The thing is there was a new proj and with one senior person moving there and the other resigning i had to do it......and its being shown as a favor to me......


 


Anyway some things come back to haunt you.....well the nickname  by which we call this contact layer was started by ME.........life comes in circles.....and now all my bunch of colleagues and friends call me and say so you are the new.........


Its no use .....just a name and i have to more work...if it was purely managing i know how  it can be done and enjoyed but suddenly making your peers and friends who helped you  answerable to you is not such a fun idea. But people at this place are not bothered about such things........


 


That ended the story of my “to heck with it life” and from next day stay back late and slog it out life started and now we have to work the weekend. My protest is given such beautiful answers and i was left reading between the lines.


:We are trying for more resources with Sr management(since....since oh since eternity ......with no success)


: This happens whnever we start a new cycle(hmm and this will continue..... because we only want business first)


: This is common in IT...things are dynamic.... we cant plan...(ok great then why do talk of CMM and planning and waste hours on meetings)


: Change is inevitable(Oh yeah ... then why when we say i want to change this boring project and get in where i can learn something more you say.......”.no... no see how xxx is in this proj from 18 months she's never complained”)


:Get me the numbers to convince the management to need more resources........they think people are not working eight hours(referrring to coffee room discussions)


: See this happens take this as a Challenge(i could only stare..... working n copy pasting 100 times more by staying back late and working weekends  is a challenge??? but as i came out of the meeting room my friend answered it to me......working weekends is a burden not a challenge...tell that .Of course the guys have their own jokes....so they asked me to get the Thums up from the canteen and put it there.....Take the challenge. )


Definition of challenge in mid size IT company or at least my current project is: As many hours work the client gives finish it on time with whatever you have.


Then there are friends ah friends.....


Scene1:


They say  Coffe chalen....


I say lemme finish this mail..........


hmm ok so maam has been promoted no time for coffee............


Scene 2:


They say Cofee chalen


I say chalo..(2 mins waiting)


Come nah u said coffee


ok ok we know u r now senior and hence are free while others work


 


Really i am having some time of this....................


At the end of the day all of then do tell me and that is heartfelt i know......come on why are you still here at 8.30 pm........you of all the people.............


 


But the most amusing moment was the only fresher a new joinee assigned to me..........


“Maam i am leaving”


(Ok gr8 and pls pls stop this Maam thing)


“Hmm Maam do we have to be here by sharp 9.30 morning.”


I could only LOL any other day....i wanted to say with me its more like sharp 6.30(evening of course).I just smiled and so did all who knew me.........."sharp 9.30" ..........me huh....i wanted to tell him that line


The trouble with being punctual is there will be no one esp ME to appreciate it.


Then i come home after my torrid protest of working weekend and my mom says “What you are working weekend”.......but you can’t.Perplexed...........i ask why...........she says ive arranged a puja....and you must be present ........


but why did you not tell me.... (the answer left me feel crushed.............ah god)


“Its been quite so long since you worked on weekend.” so i thought .............you’d be there.


I could only wonder and wonder ........about being taken for granted all the places.


 

No comments: